Mollyisms and whatever else is bouncing around the room...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

- Every man is the artisan of his own fortune.

Now that I am putting everying into words - and I am publishing them - it makes me feel like this plan is becoming more concrete. Scribere est agere - To write is to act
Nevertheless, it makes me wonder, what will the next work be?
Sort of the 'and then? and then? and then?' of Dude, where's my car?
Yes, I really did just quote Dude, Where's my car?

That is the questionable judgement, which makes me doubt my move in the same breath as I applaud my ideas.
When did I start being so afraid of trusting myself?

At any rate, to stop this over-thinking thing, I think I need to challenge myself intellectually. Waiting tables and cranking out one story published (in print, not online) each month is not really pressing me to expand my knowledge base.
Even though I spend a ridiculous amount of time online, it is not really doing much but providing me a great opportunity to catch up on celebrity smut with Perez (and not have to shell out $5 for an US Weekly). I also spend a lot of time on myspace and facebook. Snooping on some people and saying hi to others.

I want to study Latin. Since I nixed the grad school thing because I just don't have that kind of money, I want to do something that will not only be interesting, but make me better at my career.

Does anyone know any good do-it-yourself latin resources? Rosetta stone is good for foreign, I guess,(Michael Phelps said so) but here's the diffictulty level: I have no (working) DVD player.
Aren't there some books? I need to stop watching so much crap tv too.

No comments: